The Resident Assistant (RA) position plays an integral role within the Office of Student Living and Learning. Students selected to assume this important leadership role will have a focused responsibility for creating connections among Rensselaer students living within the Residential Commons.
RAs are strong communicators, empathetic resources, critical thinkers and problem solvers, champions of inclusion, and enthusiastic leaders who have a direct influence on campus culture at Rensselaer. RAs are flexible and showcase a willingness to connect authentically with all of their residents and their team members. In the RA role, RAs should expect to develop leadership skills that are transferable to their experiences while on co-op, at an internship, and beyond. RAs build skills related to communication, diversity and inclusion, rapport building, and managing conflict. Our RAs help to create a sense of community that fosters a safe, inclusive, and affirming environment that makes every student feel at home at Rensselaer.
RA Recruitment and Selection for Spring 2023, Arch 2023, and Fall 2023
Spring 2023, Arch 2023, and Fall 2023 Candidate Timeline
- Apply Now
- Timelines will be shared during the interview process
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled full-time student who has completed one residential semester on campus at Rensselaer.
- Candidates must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Student Handbook.
- Students currently on probation or suspension will not be considered for the position.
- Repeated behavioral or conduct related issues may also result in candidates being removed from the selection process.
- Willingness to give priority commitment to the RA position and your residents.
- Maintain a 2.5 or higher semester and cumulative GPA throughout the course of employment.
- Must return early for both fall, spring, and/or summer academic semesters to attend RA Training
- Please see below training dates by semester.
- Expected to stay on campus until residence halls close for the semester (e.g. Fall, Spring, Arch openings and closings).
- Expected to assist with mid-semester break closing (e.g. November break, Spring break, Arch Summer Break, etc.)
- Will serve in an on-call rotation with other RAs periodically over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Student Handbook.
- Assist in necessary aspects of the Residential Commons program including opening, RA selection, intentional conversations with residents, community programming, Hall Council assistance, Health and Safety inspections, OFPC inspections, and so on.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to be eligible to apply.
- Please note: RAs who are on their "away" semester may not be an RA.
Candidates participate in a selective process that includes:
- Completing an application
- Attending a 30 minute individual interview
Resident Assistants who are currently employed by Student Living and Learning will receive information from their supervisor in how to apply for a Resident Assistant position for Spring 2023. Staff members who are not on staff for the Fall 2022 semester should re-apply for the RA position by completing an application above.
If hired, RAs are required to attend trainings to learn about the position, meet their team, and develop the skills necessary to support their residents throughout the semester.
We strongly encourage all applicants to have conversations with their families and employers (e.g. co-op and internship supervisors) about the required trainings and time commitment well in advance. Time away requests during these time frames are typically not approved.
- In-Services: bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 9:30 pm - 10:30 pm during the semester
- Winter Training 2023: Tuesday, January 3, 2023 - Sunday, January 8, 2023 (Move-in date: Monday, January 2, 2023)
- Arch Training 2023: Monday, May 15, 2023-Sunday, May 21, 2023 (Move-in date: Sunday, May 14, 2023)
- Fall Training 2023: Monday, August 14, 2023-Sunday, August 27, 2023 (Move-in date: Sunday, August 13, 2023)