The Office of Student Living and Learning facilitates move-out for the three academic semesters: fall, spring and summer. Students will receive detailed information regarding check-in via their Rensselaer email account prior to moving out.
Fall Semester (Winter Recess) Closing
All residential facilities will close at 12:00 pm (noon) on Wednesday, December 21, 2022. After this time, card access for residence halls/apartments will be deactivated and students will no longer have building access. Anyone who does not vacate on time may be subject to a fine of $150.00. Students who have Spring Assignments who are planning on staying on campus for Winter Recess will need to fill out the Winter Recess Housing Application by 11:59pm on Friday, December 9, 2022.
Take home what you need:
Remember that the residence halls will be locked from December 21, 2022 at 12:00pm noon – January 8, 2023 at 9:00am. Students should take home any belongings they may want or need during the break. The halls are secured for protection and safety. Entry will be arranged only in case of emergency. Retrieval of books, ski equipment, etc. does not qualify as an emergency. Rule of thumb: if in doubt, take it home with you
Parking for Winter Recess:
If you are leaving your car on campus over the break, please follow the below instructions:
The College Avenue parking garage will be made available starting at 5pm on Friday, December 16 for registered campus parking permit holders to store their vehicle for the break. Vehicles must be parked on the 4th floor of the garage with permits displayed from the rear-view mirror. Vehicles stored for winter break must be removed from the garage no later than noon on January 9, 2023. Any temporary vehicles in the garage after that date and time, or vehicles during the break without a valid permit, will be removed by Kennedy’s Towing (518) 272-3881.
No vehicles may be left in any other parking lot on campus or they will be subject to fines, loss of parking privileges, and/or towing.
Before you leave your room
- Close and Lock all Windows!
- Clean your rooms– Please clean your room and pick up items off the floor.
- Ground floor residents—close blinds/curtains.
- Upper floor residents—leave blinds/curtain open.
- Personal refrigerators should be emptied, unplugged and propped open. Refrigerators provided by the institute (i.e. in apartment kitchens) do not need to be unplugged. Personal refrigerators that are not unplugged will be unplugged by staff and any perishable items will be disposed of.
- Dispose of or take home all perishable foods and all trash.
- Unplug all items from electrical outlets. Any items left plugged in may be unplugged by staff during closing.
- Do NOT turn off the heat! Staff from our Physical Plant will be entering each vacant room/apartment and adjusting the heat accordingly. This is to ensure that the heat is at an appropriate level to prevent maintenance concerns.
- Take home all valuables, medications, fish, etc.. Rensselaer is not responsible for stolen or damaged items.
- Lock your door.
- Due to the possibility of power outages, you should NOT leave articles which may be adversely affected by temperature changes. Plants, sensitive electronics, etc. are items which you may want to take home or store elsewhere.
If you are not returning to RPI for the spring 2023 semester due to participation in a co-op, off-campus internship, graduation, taking a leave, etc. and currently have a housing assignment for the spring 2023 semester, you are required to fill out the housing cancellation form online.
We ask that all students check-out 24 hours after your last final or no later than 12:00 pm (noon) on Wednesday, December 21, 2022; whichever comes first. Your check-out will be completed after you have removed all of your belongings and when you return your keys to the Office of Student Living and Learning located below Commons Dining Hall. After hours, keys may be returned to the drop boxes in the Student Living and Learning vestibule. Your room will be assessed for damages upon closing of the residence halls. Failure to comply will result in a $150 improper check-out charge.
Please change your address in the Student Information System (SIS) to receive mail at your new address. The Student Mail Center can be reached at (518) 276-2707 with questions regarding mail services.
Students going away for the Spring Semester and Returning to Rensselaer in the Fall can elect to store their belongings off-campus. Dorm Room Movers offers study abroad storage that students participating in their Arch Semester Away or Study abroad may be interested in.
Students interested in applying for Winter Recess Housing should check out this page. Students approved for Winter Recess housing will receive emails to their RPI email account with further instructions on what they will need to do to move from Fall Housing to Winter Recess Housing.
Spring Semester Closing
Summer Term Closing
If you are living on-campus for the Fall 2023 semester, you will begin transitioning out of your Arch assignment starting on August 14, 2023. You must be fully moved out of your Summer assignment by 12:00pm (noon) on Saturday, August 19th.
If you are not returning to on-campus housing or the Fall 2023 semester, you must be fully moved out of your Summer assignment by 12:00pm (noon) on Saturday, August 19th.