Below is the information communicated to all on-campus students regarding spring 2021 closing:
All residence hall residents must check out of their current housing assignment within 24 hours of their last exam or by Thursday, May 13 at 12:00 p.m. (noon); whichever date/time comes first.
COVID-19 Testing Process
Your prescheduled COVID-19 testing schedule will conclude on April 30. If you remain on campus after that date, you will need to schedule twice weekly COVID-19 tests in DIAL through your departure date. To prevent the spread of the virus to your family members and friends, your last COVID-19 test must be administered 48 hours prior to leaving Rensselaer. Results will be available in the Student Health Portal 36-48 hours after you test. You may depart if your results are negative. If you test positive, Student Health Center staff will contact you regarding isolation/quarantine (see below).
- We want every student to have the opportunity to depart safely at the end of in-person classes, as a result, it is extremely important to continue to follow all of the community health and safety protocols.
- Per our protocols, if you test positive for COVID-19, you will be directed to isolation housing.
- For the safety of others, your information will be reported to the Rensselaer Department of Health and you are required to remain on campus per New York State guidelines.
- You will be required to remain in isolation housing for up to 14 days or as directed by Dr. Lawrence, Executive Director for Health and Wellness at Rensselaer.
- Through the tracking and tracing process, if it is determined that you are associated with someone who tests positive for COVID-19, you will be directed to quarantine on campus for 14 days.
Isolation and Quarantine Services
- You will receive meals three times daily, Monday through Friday, and two times on Saturday and Sunday.
- To help ensure you are getting the support and resources you need, the Student Health Center will check on you two times/day and a class dean will contact you one time/day.
All Rensselaer residents must check out of their current housing assignment within 24 hours of their last exam or by Thursday, May 13 at 12:00 p.m. (noon); whichever date/time comes first. Student card access for residence halls/apartments will be deactivated at this time.
As previously communicated, we encouraged students to pack light and pack smart in the event that all personal belongings would have to be removed at the end of the semester. While we understand this may pose challenges, we made this determination to help ensure the overall health and safety of our community. Below you will find a list of resources to assist you in making this a safe and seamless transition from campus.
- Only one guest may enter the residence hall to assist you with your move.
- You should be completely packed and ready to move out when your guest arrives.
- Your guest should not assist with packing belongings, but may only assist with moving belongings out of the building.
- To minimize potential contact with guests, who are not included in our campus testing pool, each resident is allotted one hour to remove your belongings from your residence hall.
Prior to Returning Your Key
- Remove all belongings (check drawers, under the bed, wardrobes/closets) or store items properly (if eligible)
- Clean your room (vacuum, dust, wipe down surfaces)
- Arrange room furniture to its original position
- Take all trash and recycling to the dumpsters
- Close and lock windows and doors
- If you are moving out prior to Friday, April 30, you must return your keys to the Office of Student Living and Learning (located below Commons Dining Hall) or place them in the drop box (accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) located in the vestibule. Keys must be returned in a key return envelope. Student Living and Learning is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- If you are moving out after Friday, April 30, you will utilize one of the key drop boxes placed around campus:
- BARH will utilize the key box in the BARH front lobby
- Barton, Bray, Cary, Davison, Hall, Hudson Valley, Nason, Nugent, Sharp, and Warren will utilize the key box in the Student Living and Learning Vestibule
- Blitman will utilize the key box in the Blitman lobby
- City Station South, City Station West, Quad will utilize the key box in the Public Safety Office
- Polytech will utilize the key box in the Polytech back entrance
- RAHP A will utilize the RAHP A laundry room
- Stacwyck will utilize the RAHP B laundry room
- Failure to remove all of your belongings and return your keys will result in a $150 improper check-out fee, plus the cost to change locks/replace keys, and pack and store your items. All rooms will also be assessed for damages.
- If you have an extenuating circumstance and cannot leave before 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 13, you must fill out the Spring 2021 Housing Extension Application. This includes students who will receive the second dose of the Moderna vaccine. Extensions will likely only be granted until the afternoon of Thursday, May 13, Friday, May 14 or Saturday, May 15. Extensions beyond May 15 will only be provided in extreme circumstances. Extension requests will be reviewed and you will be notified within two business days of submitting your request. Requests must be submitted by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 6.
Break Housing and Storing Items for Arch/Summer School Students
If you are residing on-campus this summer and cannot travel home due to distance from Rensselaer or other extenuating circumstances, you can apply (but not guaranteed) to either remain on-campus during the break or have your items stored in your spring 2021 assignment.
- To apply for break housing or have your items stored in your spring 2021 assignment during the break, you must either 1) be an international student, 2) have a permanent address in a US state other than Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or Vermont, or 3) have other extenuating circumstances.
- If you are physically remaining on campus during break, you will be charged for housing ($540) and dining ($360) for the duration of the break, totaling $900.
- If you are physically remaining on campus during the break, it is more than likely that you will need to relocate to another residence hall.
- You must apply online by filling out the Summer Break Housing form by Thursday, May 6, at 8:00 a.m.
- During the break, all rules and regulations outlined in the Residential Commons Agreement, Residential Commons Handbook, Rensselaer Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities, and other Institute policies are in effect.
Storage for Students Not Participating in Arch
- Students who are having difficulties transporting their items home are encouraged to utilize Dorm Room Movers. Dorm Room Movers is Rensselaer’s preferred vendor for packing, storing, and/or shipping items. As third party vendors are not permitted on-campus during the semester, the Office of Student Living and Learning will be providing access to Dorm Room Movers staff between 9:00am-4:00pm, weekdays, May 14-19, 2021, to retrieve students’ items for storage or shipping.
Summer Semester Move-In
Students participating in Summer Arch will receive information regarding their summer 2021 housing assignment and move-in instructions in the coming weeks.