- Living on campus is a critical component of the CLASS (Clustered Learning, Advocacy, and Support for Students) experience. It provides students with the opportunity to live, learn, and experience Rensselaer and the local Troy area with members of their cohort.
On-Campus Living Requirements
The following cohorts are required to live on campus in the Residential Commons:
- First-year students
- Second-year students
- Transfer Students for their first year at Rensselaer (one semester if January admission)
- Students participating in The Arch summer term.
Greek Life Waiver Exceptions
Second-year students affiliated with an active Greek organization may submit a greek housing waiver form which grants them an exception from the campus housing requirement, allowing them to live in their organization's Institute recognized house. Students are required to return to the Residential Commons for The Arch summer term.
Students with extenuating financial or medical/health-related circumstances can request a housing waiver.
Waiver requests are reviewed by a committee that meets once every three weeks. Decisions are sent to the student's Rensselaer email account.
Note: Waivers are only granted for extreme and extenuating circumstances. Signing a lease off-campus, living locally, or roommate concerns will not typically result in a housing waiver. Submit a request for a housing waiver
Waiver Submission Deadlines
We are no longer accepting applications for Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 Waivers
For Fall 2020
- Returning Students- February 7, 2020
- Incoming First-Year Students- May 22, 2020
- New Transfer Students- July 24, 2020
Waiver Committee Meetings
|Waiver Application Submitted by noon on this date:||Waiver Committee will review on this date:||Students will be notified of the decision by noon on this date:|
|Friday, February 28, 2020||Friday, March 6, 2020||Tuesday, March 10, 2020|
|Friday, March 20, 2020||Friday, March 27, 2020||Tuesday, March 31, 2020|
|Friday, April 10, 2020||Friday, April 17, 2020||Tuesday, April 21, 2020|
|Friday, May 1, 2020||Friday, May 8, 2020||Tuesday, May 12, 2020|
|Friday, May 22, 2020||Friday, May 29, 2020||Tuesday, June 2, 2020|
|Friday, June 12, 2020||Friday, June 19, 2020||Tuesday, June 23, 2020|
|Friday, July 3, 2020||Friday, July 10, 2020||Tuesday, July 14, 2020|
|Friday, July 24, 2020||Friday, July 31, 2020||Tuesday, August 4, 2020|
Waiver Committee Appeals
Students wishing to appeal the committee’s decision regarding a housing and/or meal plan waiver must submit via email to email@example.com a document that contains the following information:
- Header containing, First Name, Last Name, RIN, E-mail, and contact phone number. Additionally the type of waiver being appealed (Housing, Meal, or Housing and Meal) and what semester you are applying for a waiver.
- A written explanation for why you are appealing the committee’s decision.
The email to firstname.lastname@example.org should have the subject line of “Waiver Committee Appeal”
Please note: Reasons for appeals should not be due to additional information that the committee was unable to review. If you have additional information that was not reviewed by the waiver committee you must submit another request for the committee to review the decision. Appeals will not be granted based on new or additional information.
Appeals must be received by 9:00 am the Monday following the decision email. All appeals will be reviewed and a decision rendered within two weeks of receiving the appeal document.