- Living on campus is a critical component of the CLASS (Clustered Learning, Advocacy, and Support for Students) experience. It provides students with the opportunity to live, learn, and experience Rensselaer and the local Troy area with members of their cohort.
On-Campus Living Requirements
The following cohorts are required to live on campus in the Residential Commons:
• First-year students
• Second-year students
• Students participating in The Arch summer term
Greek Life Waiver Exceptions
Second-year students affiliated with an active Greek organization may submit a housing waiver which grants them an exception from the campus housing requirement, allowing them to live in their organization's Institute recognized house. Students are required to return to the Residential Commons for The Arch summer term.
Students with extenuating financial or medical/health-related circumstances can request a housing waiver.
Waiver requests are reviewed by a committee that meets once every three weeks. Decisions are sent to the student's Rensselaer email account.
Note: Waivers are only granted for extreme and extenuating circumstances. Signing a lease off-campus, living locally, or roommate concerns will not typically result in a housing waiver. Submit a request for a housing waiver
Waiver Submission Deadlines
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2019 Waivers
For Spring 2020
- Returning Students- November 15, 2019
- New Students- December 27, 2019
For Summer 2020
- All Students- December 27, 2019
For Fall 2020
- Returning Students- February 7, 2020
- Incoming First-Year Students- May 22, 2020
- New Transfer Students- July 24, 2020