Housing & Dining Waiver Requests
At times circumstances may arise in students' life which may warrant a housing and/or meal plan waiver. Admitted Rensselaer students facing extreme financial difficulties, medical/health-related issues, or other circumstances may apply for a Housing and/or meal plan waiver. Specific reasons a waiver will not be granted include but are not limited to:
- It being "more affordable" to live off-campus
- Desire to commute from home
- Roommate issues
- Housing available with family in the immediate community
- Transfer status
- Lack of understanding that the Housing and Dining Agreement is “binding”
- Changing circumstances or opinions about housing
- Desire to live in an off-campus Greek house (see greek housing waiver information)
- Special hall or room-type request (e.g., single room)
Waiver Requests can be submitted by completing the request form.
Housing Accommodation Requests
Due to Medical/Health-Related concerns, students may find it necessary to apply for specific housing accommodations during their time at Rensselaer.
Rensselaer will accept and consider requests for housing accommodations at any time. The individual making the request for accommodation should submit the request form and then submit all required supporting documentation to the Office of Disability Services for Students as soon as possible. If the request for the accommodation is made after the stated deadlines, Rensselaer cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy immediately following the belated request.
If the need for accommodation arises when an individual already resides on-campus, the student should submit the request form and then submit all required supporting documentation to the Office of Disability Services for Students as soon as possible. Rensselaer cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the semester or term which the request is received.
Documentation should include a rationale for all requested housing accommodations, please see documentation guidelines in the request form. Please note that medical documentation should be sent to DSS only.
Students with specific dietary needs should work with Rensselaer Dining Services Registered Dietician.
Housing Contract Cancellation Requests
In some circumstances, students not required to live on campus may request a housing cancellation due to changes in their plans after selecting a housing assignment for the upcoming term. Students wishing to cancel their housing assignment should submit the request form. Students do not need to complete this form due to:
- Academic Dismissal
- Leave of Absence from Rensselaer
- Graduation from Rensselaer
- Transfer to another college or university
- Participation in Co-op or another Rensselaer authorized program
Additionally, students who have not selected a room assignment do not need to submit a cancellation request.
Waiver, Accommodation, and Cancellation Request Deadlines
***The Deadline for Fall 2021 Waivers or accommodations has passed.***
For Spring 2021
- Returning Students- October 29, 2021
- Incoming First-Year Students- December 10, 2021
- New Transfer Students- December 31, 2021
For Fall 2022
- Returning Students- January 21, 2022
- Incoming First-Year Students- May 27, 2022
- New Transfer Students- July 29, 2022
Please note: Waiver requests received after the deadline may not be reviewed by the committee. Accommodation requests made after the deadlines above will be made based on if a space is available and may not be met until the next academic year/term
Housing and Dining Requirement Review Committee
The Housing and Dining Requirement Review Committee typically meets every three weeks to review submitted requests. The Housing and Dining Review Committee consists of representatives from multiple campus offices, including:
- Student Living and Learning
- Auxiliary Services/Rensselaer Dining Services
- Student Health Center/Disability Services for Students
- Office of Financial Aid
- Office of Student Success/First-Year Experience
Review committee decisions will be sent to the student's Rensselaer email account.
Review Committee Meetings
|Waiver Application Submitted by noon on this date:||Waiver Committee will review on this date:||Students will be notified of the decision by noon on this date:|
|September 17, 2021||September 24, 2021||September 29, 2021|
|October 8, 2021||October 15, 2021||October 20, 2021|
|October 29, 2021||November 5, 2021||November 10, 2021|
|December 10, 2021||December 17, 2021||December 22, 2021|
|December 31, 2021||January 7, 2021||January 12, 2021|
Waiver Committee Appeals
Students wishing to appeal the committee’s decision regarding a housing and/or meal plan waiver must submit via email with the subject line: “Waiver Committee Appeal” to email@example.com. In this email you should attach a document that contains the following information:
- Header containing, First Name, Last Name, RIN, E-mail, and contact phone number. Additionally the type of waiver being appealed (Housing, Meal, or Housing and Meal) and what semester you are applying for a waiver.
- A written explanation for why you are appealing the committee’s decision.
Please note: Reasons for appeals should not be due to additional information that the committee was unable to review. If you have additional information that was not reviewed by the waiver committee you must submit another request for the committee to review the decision. Appeals will not be granted based on new or additional information.
Appeals must be received by 9:00 am the Monday following the decision email. All appeals will be reviewed and a decision rendered within two weeks of receiving the appeal document.