The following items are prohibited in all Rensselaer owned and operated residence halls. Prohibited items found in residence halls may be subject to confiscation/removal by institute staff.
- Candles (whether lit or unlit), incense, scented lamps, live trees, and open flame devices of any kind.
- Curtains and cloth-based or fabric tapestries/wall hangings.
- Entire walls and doors may not be covered. All decorations must be affixed flat against the walls so that flames cannot reach both sides. Each wall and door cannot exceed 10% covered.
- 3D printers
- Hover boards.
- Portable air conditioners, space heaters, electric blankets, sun lamps, string lights, strip lights, halogen lamps, and halogen light bulbs. Battery powered string lights are allowed.
- Routers/Antennas/Satellite dishes.
- Wax warmers (all including lightbulb, hot plate, and plug-in mechanisms).
- Extension cords and multi-taps.
- Power strips must have grounding, overcurrent protection AND a visible reset. Power strips must not have moveable parts and cannot be connected to another power strip (“daisy chain” or “piggy-backing”) to add length to an outlet.
- Appliances that are not Underwriters’ Laboratory (UL) approved and those that contain an exposed heating element are not permitted. This includes, but is not limited to, hot plates, crock pots, Instant Pots, air fryers, George Foreman grills, rice cookers, electric skillets, or any appliances without a thermostat/automatic shut off. Toasters ovens are not permitted in any area. Pop-up toasters are permitted in kitchens. Automatic shut-off coffee/tea makers, and microwaves ARE permitted.
- Hibachis, other open fire grills, charcoal, and gas/propane grills.
- Kerosene, gasoline, butane, or other flammable liquids.
- Refrigerators and micro-fridges must be adequately ventilated, 6.0 cu. ft. or less in size, and plugged directly into a wall socket. Students may bring their own or rent from the refrigerator leasing company under contract with Rensselaer. Refrigerators must be plugged directly into the wall outlet.
- Bed risers, lofts other than those from Rensselaer’s contracted loft vendor.
- Privacy bed tents.
- Firearms (including antique guns), explosives and other weapons, ammunition, fireworks, starting pistols, incendiary or toxic chemicals, paintball equipment, air rifles, bb pellets, dart guns, torches, stun guns, swords, knives, or any other type of weapon or projectile-firing device. The use of pepper aerosol spray for anything other than self-defense purposes is prohibited.
- Pets (except fish with a 10 gallon tank size limit); registered service animals and emotional support animals are exempt.