The following items are prohibited in all Rensselaer owned and operated residence halls. Prohibited items found in residence halls may be subject to confiscation/removal by institute staff.
- Candles (whether lit or unlit), incense, scented lamps, and open flame devices of any kind
- Live trees
- Curtains and cloth-based or fabric tapestries/wall hangings.
- Entire walls and doors may not be covered. All decorations must be affixed flat against the walls so that flames cannot reach both sides. Each wall and door cannot exceed 10% covered
- 3D printers
- Hover boards
- Air Conditioners (portable or window)
- Space heaters, electric blankets, sun lamps
- String lights, strip lights, Battery powered string lights are allowed
- Halogen lamps, and halogen light bulbs
- Routers/Antennas/Satellite dishes
- Wax warmers (all including lightbulb, hot plate, and plug-in mechanisms)
- Soldering Irons and all appliances/tools with exposed heating elements
- Extension cords
- Multi-tap outlet adaptors
- Power strips are permitted only if they:
- are approved by a current Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). Certification mark must be visible on power strip
- have a visible and functioning "grounded" and "protected" light
- have a visible reset switch (must be labeled reset)
- have no movable parts
- are plugged directly into a wall outlet. Power strips cannot be connected to another power strip/desk outlet (“daisy chain” or “piggy-backing”)
- Appliances that are not approved by a current Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). Certification mark must be visible on the appliance.
- Appliances that contain an exposed heating element are not permitted. This includes, but is not limited to, hot plates, crock pots, Instant Pots, air fryers, George Foreman grills, rice cookers, electric skillets, or any appliances without a thermostat/automatic shut off. Toasters ovens are not permitted in any area.
- Pop-up toasters are permitted in kitchens. Automatic shut-off coffee/tea makers, and microwaves ARE permitted.
- Hibachis, other open fire grills, charcoal, and gas/propane grills.
- Kerosene, gasoline, butane, or other flammable liquids.
- Refrigerators and micro-fridges are permitted providing they are:
- adequately ventilated
- 6.0 cu. ft. or less in size
- plugged directly into a wall outlet.
Students may bring their own or rent from the refrigerator leasing company under contract with Rensselaer.
- Bed risers, lofts other than those from Rensselaer’s contracted loft vendor
- Privacy bed tents
- Firearms (including antique guns), explosives and other weapons, ammunition, fireworks, starting pistols, incendiary or toxic chemicals, paintball equipment, air rifles, bb pellets, dart guns, torches, stun guns, swords, knives, or any other type of weapon or projectile-firing device. The use of pepper aerosol spray for anything other than self-defense purposes is prohibited
- Pets (except fish with a 10 gallon tank size limit); registered service animals, and emotional support animals (that have been approved by Student Health Services) are exempt
- Gasoline/fuel powered engines and parts